Munthiri Kothu Recipe | Sweet Green Gram Balls Recipe with Video Recipe. Munthiri kothu is a festival sweet made in south India, especially most popular in states of Tamil Nadu and Kerala. Munthiri kothu is made with green gram and jaggery. It is healthy sweet as we are using jaggery not sugar in this recipe. Kothu means bunches. After deep frying this sweet will be in bunches. It looks like bunch of grapes hence the name munthiri kothu. This snack has a sweet & soft filling inside and it has a crispy outer cover. It is very easy to make as well as tastes delicious. I thought to make this sweet for this onam festival. Mostly during onam festival many guests will come in our houses, we need to serve some snacks for them, right?. You can give this home made sweet snack for them. It is very easy to make. It lasts for 2-3 weeks if stored in a dry air tight container. Try this recipe and let me know your feedback.
- Take a pan. Add green gram into it.
- Dry roast the green gram till golden brown in color.
- Allow it to cool down completely.
- Add grated coconut in a pan. Dry roast coconut until it turns golden brown in color.
- Take jaggery in a heavy bottomed pan. Add water in it.
- Heat it & Let the jaggery dissolve completely. (No string consistency
- Once jaggery dissolved completely, switch off the flame and keep it aside.
- Transfer the roasted green gram into a mixer. Add cardamom into it.
- Grind it to a coarse powder (Rava texture)
- Transfer the green gram powder into a bowl.
- Add roasted coconut into it.
- Mix it well.
- Add jaggery syrup into it.
- Slowly mix it up.
- Keep mixing till the jaggery syrup is coated well.
- Make small lemon sized balls.
- In a bowl add rice flour, turmeric powder and salt.
- Add water as required and make a dosa batter like consistency batter.
- Dip each balls in this batter. (Roll it so that the batter coats on all sides).
- Deep fry the balls until both sides turns brown in color.
- Delicious munthiri kothu/sweet green gram balls is now ready
- Store it in a dry air tight container. It lasts for 2-3 weeks