Tapioca Fish Biryani Recipe | Kappa Fish Biryani Recipe with Video Recipe. Tapioca/Kappa is a starchy root vegetable or tuber. Tapioca is also known by other names like Cassava, Yuca; Kappa, Kollikizhangu, Maracheeni etc. Today I am sharing here with you the recipe of a Variety Biryani which is made by combining fish and tapioca/kappa. It is one of the best kerala dishes that is loved by all keralites. Normally we will make biryani with rice, but this biryani is made with kappa instead of rice. You can make kappa biryani in many ways. In south kerala kappa biryani will make with kappa and beef, but in north kerala kappa biryani will make with kappa and fish. Normally sardine fish/mathi is the best combination with kappa. It’s preparation is very simple. Boiled and mashed tapioca is mixed with fried fish pieces, grounded coconut mixture and spices. I am sure that you all will love the taste of this Biryani. Try this recipe and let me know how it turned out for you.
- Peel off the skin of kappa and chop it into small pieces. Wash it thoroughly 2-3 times.
- Take water in a pan. Let it boil. Once it started to boil add the kappa pieces into it. Cook it until it’s half done.
- Once it’s half cooked strain the water.
- Add strained kappa pieces into a cooker
- Add turmeric powder and salt into it. Add enough water into it
- Pressure cook it for 3 whistles.
- Strain the water and keep it aside.
- In a mixer add grated coconut, green chilli, garlic, cumin seeds
- Crush everything well & keep it aside.
- Marinate the sardine fish pieces/mathi with turmeric powder, redchilli powder, pepper powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt to taste.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Deep fry the marinated fish pieces.
- In the same oil that we used to fry the fish pieces add mustard seeds
- Once it started to crackle, add green chilli, ginger and garlic.
- Fry it until it turns light brown in color.
- Add onion and salt into it.
- Saute it until onion turns light brown in color.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, redchilli powder, pepper powder and garam masala into it. Mix it well.
- Saute it until raw smell of powders goes off.
- Add the grounded coconut mixture into it and mix well.
- Saute it for 2 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup water into it.
- Add salt into it and mix well.
- Add fried fish pieces into it and mix well.
- Cover it with a lid and cook it for 2 minutes.
- Add lemon juice into it and mix well.
- Add the cooked tapioca/ kappa pieces into it.
- Mash it well & mix everything well.
- Tapioca Fish Biryani/Kappa Fish Biryani is now ready to Serve.