Karanji Recipe | Karjikai Recipe | Sweet Somas Recipe with Video Recipe. It is one of the deep fried sweet savory snack prepared during festival occasions like diwali. It is know as karanji in Maharashtra, karjikai in Karnataka, kajjikayalu in Andhra Pradesh and somas in Tamilnadu It may have different names but the preparation and the taste remains same. Inner sweet filling gives a sweet taste and the outer crispy cover gives you the taste of a savory snack, hence we can mention it as sweet savory snack. In this recipe I am sharing the steps that are very easy to prepare this snack. For the inner filling here I am using coconut, jaggery, rava and dry fruits. Outer layer is made with all purpose flour/ Maida and rava. It is very easy to prepare within few minutes with very few ingredients that are always available at your home. Just try this recipe and let me know how it turned out for you. Let us come to the recipe.
All purpose flour/ Maida-1 cup
Warm milk-1/4 cup
Powdered Jaggery-3/4 cup
Cardamon powder-1/4 tsp
Cashewnuts-2 tbs, chopped
Almonds-2 tbs, chopped
Oil- For Deep frying+ 2tbs for kneading the dough
Method Of Preparation
- In a bowl take all purpose flour, rava and salt
- Heat 2tbs oil in a pan. Pour it over the flours and mix it well with your hands.Take a portion of the flour mixture in your hand and press it in your palm. It should holds a shape. Now add warm milk little by little into it and knead it to a smooth stiff dough
- Cover it with a moist cloth and rest it for 30 minutes. Meanwhile prepare the stuffing
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add grated coconut into it. Saute it until it turns light brown in color. Then add 1 tbs rava into it and saute it for 2 minutes.
- Add powdered jaggery into it and saute it until jaggery melts. Add cardamon powder into it and mix well. Add 2tbs chopped cashew nuts and 2tbs chopped almonds into it and saute it for 1 minute. Now stuffing will be ready. Keep it aside
- After 30 minutes slightly knead the dough again. Divide the dough into small equal sized balls. Roll each ball into small circles using a rolling pin
- Place 1tsp of the filling in the center. Apply water all over the edges.
- Close it and seal the edges well by pressing it with your fingers. Make a pleated design at the edges with your hand or make a design using a fork just by pressing at edges
- Deep fry karanji in hot oil until it turns golden brown and crisp
- Karanji is now ready to serve. Once it is cooled down store it in an airtight container and have it as a snack for the next few weeks.