Fish Pathiri (Rice Pancake Stuffed with Fish Masala) is a popular dish among malabar region in kerala state of south India. This is one of the main items in Iftar parties. Pathiri is a term used in Malabar region of Kerala to mean roti/chappathi/ or flatbread. I used king fish for making the fish masala. You can use any type of boneless fish for making fish masala. The fish masala filling is laid between two pathiri/flatbread or rotis made of rice flour, wrapped in the plantain leaves and then steamed. If you are looking for a healthy snack then it will be a good option for you because it is a steamed snack not a fried snack,so it is cholestrol free and it is a protein rich snack as we used fish for filling inside. Please try this recipe and let me know how it turned out for you
Fish – 6-8 medium slices
Kashmiri chilly powder – 2 ½ tsp
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Ginger – Garlic paste – 2tsp
Salt – 1tsp
Water – 1-2tsp
Oil – 6-8tsp for shallow frying
For the masala
Fennel seeds – ½ tsp
Finely chopped onion – 1 medium size
Sliced ginger – 1tsp
Sliced garlic – 1tsp
Chopped Curry leaves – 2-3tsp
Kashmiri chilly powder – 1 ½ tsp
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Garam masala – ½ tsp
Water – 2-3tsp
Oil – 3-4tsp
Salt – ½ -1tsp
For making pathiri
Rice flour – 1cup
Boiling Water – 1cup
Salt– ½ tsp
Method Of Preparation
- Mix all marinating ingredients together (except oil) and marinate fish pieces well.
- Leave it for 30min and heat oil in a pan and fry fish pieces till it turns light brown color. Mash it nicely with hands.
- Heat oil in a pan, put fennel seeds in it
- When it cracks add sliced ginger, garlic and curry leaves into it.
- Saute it well till the raw smell of garlic goes off.
- Next add chopped onion and salt into it and fry it well
- When the onion turns golden brown add turmeric powder, chilly powder and garam masala powder into it.
- Saute it for 2min, add 2tsp of water along with mashed fried fish into it
- Mix it well for 2-3 min on medium flame and switch off the flame .Keep it aside.
- Mix together rice flour and salt. Add boiling water and make a soft dough.
- Take a plantain leaf and spread a small portion of the dough into the shape of pathiris.
- Place fish masala filling at the center of a pathiri
- Place another pathiri spread on another plantain leaf on this masala and gently press the edges together.
- Steam it for 20 mins.
- Now our Fish Pathiri / Rice Pancake Stuffed with Fish Masala is ready to serve.