Chakka Puzhukku | Unripe Jackfruit With Coconut and Spices | Traditional Kerala Recipes with Video Recipe. Chakka Puzhukku is a traditional kerala dish prepared by boiling raw jackfruit with coconut and other spices. Jackfruit is known as “Chakka” in Malayalam. Puzhukku is a traditional dish of kerala prepared by boiling root vegetables like tapioca, taro root/colocasia and Raw fruits like banana and jackfruit with coconut and spices. This traditional dish is healthy as well as delicious. You can serve this as a tea time snack with hot black tea, it is a best combination. You can also serve this as a side dish with rice. Now it is the season of jackfruit. Try this recipe if you have unripe jackfruit with you.
Unripe Jackfruit Bulbs-30
Grated Coconut-1 cup
Cumin Seeds-1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder-1 tsp
Salt to taste
Coconut Oil-2 tbs
Mustard Seeds-1 tsp
Salt to taste
Method Of Preparation
- Select a jackfruit which is fully matured but it should be Unripe
- Apply oil on hand and knife.
- Remove the central core from jackfruit.
- Pull out the jackfruit bulbs.
- Remove the white strips from jackfruit bulbs.
- Cut both ends of jackfruit bulb
- Open the jackfruit bulb with a knife and remove the seeds.
- Divide soft flesh into parts.
- Chop jackfruit flesh into small pieces.
- Chop jackfruit seed into small pieces.
- In a mixer add grated coconut, shallots, garlic cloves, greenchilli, cumin seeds and curry leaves
- Crush everything well.
- Transfer the chopped jackfruit flesh and seeds into a pan.
- Add turmeric powder, salt to taste and water into it and mix it well.
- Cover it with a lid & Cook until jackfruit pieces are cooked well.
- Add the coconut mixture into it and mix well.
- Cook it for 2 minutes.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds into it.
- Let it splutter. Once it’s spluttered add dry red chilies and curry leaves into it.
- Add this tempering into the chakka puzhukku.