Red Cow Peas Kheer Recipe | Easy Vanpayar Payasam | Kheer Recipe with Video Recipe. Red cow peas is rich in protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals. Today I am sharing here the recipe of kheer/payasam that you can make with red cow peas. This kheer / payasam is a mix of red cow peas, jaggery and coconut milk and rice flour. It is a traditional preparation of payasam/kheer in malabar side of kerala. This recipe of red cow peas kheer/payasam is very easy to prepare as well as tastes delicious. Try this recipe if you have red cow peas / vanpayar is there with you. Let us come to the recipe.
- Soak Red cow peas in water for 4 hours.
- Add the soaked Red cow peas in a cooker. Add salt and water into it. Pressure cook it for 6 whistle or until cow peas cooked well & become soft
- Take jaggery in a pan. Add water into it. Heat it & Let the jaggery dissolve completely. Once jaggery dissolved completely, switch off the flame.
- Strain the jaggery syrup into a pan. Heat it. Add the cooked cow peas into the jaggery syrup. Mix it well & Let it boil for 8-10 minutes on medium flame.
- Add thin coconut milk & rice flour into it. Mix it well & Cook it until it thickens
- Once it’s thickened add 1/2 cup thick coconut milk into it. Add cardamom powder into it. Mix it well & cook it for a minute in low flame ( Do not boil).
- Switch off the flame.
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add cashew nuts and raisins into it. Roast it until it turns light brown in color.
- Add this to the red cow peas kheer