Jack Fruit Biryani | Kathal Biryani Recipe | Biryani Recipe in Cooker with Video Recipe. This is a dum cooked biryani in pressure cooker made with unripe raw jackfruit. Raw jackfruit is called as kathal in Hindi. Raw jackfruit is called as vegetarian meat because it has meaty texture. In this recipe first I fried the jackfruit pieces and then it is cooked with spices, yogurt and rice in pressure cooker. Traditionally dum process of biryani is done in an aluminum pot by layering the rice and biryani gravy. Once it is layered, it will seal tightly and cook in low flame. Here I done the dum process in pressure cooker. It is very easy to prepare dum biryani in pressure cooker.
Before coming to the recipe of jackfruit biryani. I would like to share some health benefits of jackfruit. Jackfruit Contains high amount of vitamin c and antioxidants which helps in boosting your immune system. Antoxidants in the jackfruit will prevent the cancer. It is good source of potassium, hence it can help to reduce the blood pressure. It will prevent strokes and heart diseases. so including jackfruit in your diet is good for your health.
This time when I went to my home town in kerala, it was the season of jackfruit. Jackfruit tree in our house was filled with raw jackfruits. I plucked a raw jackfruit from that tree. When I started this blog, that time onwards it has become my habit of trying variety dishes with each ingredients. Hence I thought to try a variety dish with the raw jackfruit also. My search for the variety dish with raw jackfruit ended up in this biryani recipe. This biryani was very tasty and it is was very easy to prepare, so thought to share this recipe with you. I am sure that you will love the taste of this biryani. Try this recipe and let me know how it turned out for you.
Raw Jackfruit-1, medium size
Basmati Rice- 2 cup
Onion-1 large, thinly sliced + 2 medium size, chopped
Turmeric Powder-1 1/2 tsp
Redchilli Powder-2 1/2 tsp
Corn Flour-1 tsp
Garam Masala-1 tsp
Cinnamon-1 small piece
Ginger-1 tbs ( Chopped)
Garlic-1 tbs ( Chopped)
Green chillies-2 to 3
Water-2.5 cup +1/4 cup
Method Of Preparation
- Soak basmati rice in water for 20 minutes.
- Take a medium size raw jackfruit. Apply oil on your hand and knife. Cut the jackfruit into half. Apply oil on a tissue paper and remove the white paste on the jackfruit. Take half portion of the jackfruit for making this biryani
- Cut it into small pieces. Remove the green outer skin of jackfruit using a knife. Again cut it into small chunks. Wash it well and drain the water
- Add turmeric powder, redchilli powder, salt and cornflour into it and mix well. Marinate it for 15-20 minutes
- Heat oil for deep frying. Add thinly sliced onion into it. Saute the onion until it turns golden brown in color. Keep it aside
- In the same oil deep fry the marinated jackfruit pieces. Drain the excess oil and keep it aside
- Heat ghee in pressure cooker. Add bayleaf, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and star anise into it and saute it for few seconds
- Add ginger, garlic, green chillies into it and saute it in low flame
- Add onion into it and saute until onion turn light brown in color. Add tomato into it and saute until tomato is cooked well.
- Once tomato is cooked well add turmeric powder, redchilli powder and garam masala into it and saute it well until raw smell of powders goes off
- Add 1/4 cup water into it. mix it well and cook until all water content are evaporated
- Add salt into it and mix well. Add curd into it and mix well. Add fried jackfruit pieces into it and mix well
- Add fried onions, few coriander leaves and few mint leaves into it and mix well
- Add the soaked rice over it and level it up
- Add fried onions, few coriander leaves and mint leaves, garam masala and ghee over it
- Add water. Cover the cooker and cook it in low flame for 20-25 minutes or until rice is cooked well
- After 25 minutes, open the cooker and check rice is cooked well or not. if rice is cooked well mix everything well. If rice is not cooked well. cook it for few more minutes in low flame until rice is cooked well
- Delicious Raw Jackfruit Biryani is now ready to serve