We can cook kappa / Tapioca in different ways but this Kappa Biryani / Tapioca Biryani is delicious among them. This is a popular item in roadside shops (Thattukadas / Streetfood) in Kerala. Some people call Kappa biryani as Ellum Kappayum while others call it as Kappayum Erachiyum. Kappa Biryani / Tapioca Biryani is a mix of kappa(Tapioca) and meat(with bones). Mostly beef will use as a meat in tapioca biryani but here I used chicken instead of beef, but it’s taste was awesome. Kappa Biryani / Tapioca Biryani is prepared by combining the cooked and mashed tapioca/kappa with meat masala and season it with spices. I am sure that you will love the taste of this Kappa Biryani / Tapioca Biryani. Today we can learn how to prepare Kappa Biryani / Tapioca Biryani. Please try this recipe and let me know your feedback
For Meat Masala
Meat with bones-Beef/Chicken/Mutton/Pork-1/2kg
Ginger Garlic paste-1 tbs
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Kashmiri Red chilly powder-2 tsp
Coriander powder-1 1/2 tsp
Black pepper powder-1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder-1 tsp
Curry leaves-2 spring
Salt to taste
Water- 1/4 cup
Shallots/Small onions-3-4,thinly sliced
Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
Dry Red Chilies-2-3
Method Of Preparation
How to cook kappa / Tapioca
- Slice the tapiocas into small pieces and clean it well under running water.
- Add salt and turmeric powder and cook it in water until kappa become soft in a pressure cooker. (Tapioca’s should be fully immersed in water).
- Grind grated coconut,shallots,ginger and green chilies together in a mixer
- Add this to the cooked tapioca and mash the tapioca pieces while mixing
How to Prepare Meat Masala
- Marinate the meat pieces with turmeric powder,red chili powder,pepper powder,ginger garlic paste,curry leaves,coriander powder and salt and keep it aside
- Heat oil in a pan,add the chopped small onions and saute until it turns to translucent and light brown in color.
- Add the ginger garlic paste,red chili powder,pepper powder,garam masala powder and curry leaves in it and mix well and saute it for few seconds
- Add the marinated meat pieces in it and mix everything well and cook it by adding 1/4 cup water in it. Cook it until the meat pieces are cooked well. Keep it aside
- Mix the meat masala with the cooked tapioca and combine well
- Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard seeds. Add redchilies,curry leaves and sliced onion in it and saute until it turns golden brown in color
- Pour this over the above mix of tapioca and meat masala.
- Tasty Kappa/Tapioca Biryani is ready to serve hot