Easy Chicken Curry Recipe| White Pumpkin Chicken Curry | Kumbalanga Chicken Curry | Palakkad Special with Video Recipe. Today I am sharing here the recipe of a unique chicken curry that you can prepare very easily. The main speciality of this chicken curry is that we are adding white pumpkin/ash gourd pieces in this curry. White pumpkin/ash gourd is known as kumbalanga in malayalam. Ash gourd/Kumbalanga is adding in this curry for cooling down the heat of the chicken meat. This curry you can taste only in palakkad in kerala. Palakkad district in kerala is famous for it’s variety and delicious dishes. My husband got a chance to taste variety dishes of palakkad during his college days in palakkad, This chicken curry is one among them that he tasted and liked, so he requested me to try this white pumpkin/kumbalanga chicken curry. It came out well for me and me too liked the taste of this curry, so I thought to share the recipe with you. If you are looking to add some variety in the chicken curry recipe that you used to make, then you can definitely try this recipe. I am sure that you will also like the taste of this curry. Try this recipe and let me know your feedback
Preparation Time:10 minutes
Cooking Time:10 minutes
Servings: 4 People
Chicken-500 gm (Cleaned)
White Pumpkin/Ash Gourd/Kumbalanga-500 gm
Grated Coconut-1 cup
Cumin Seeds-1/2 tsp
Fennel Seeds-1/2 tsp
Coconut oil-4 tbs
Ginger-2 tbs (Chopped)
Garlic-6 cloves (Chopped)
Green chilies-2 (Chopped)
Small onions-15 (Chopped)
Turmeric Powder-1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder-2 tsp
Redchilli Powder-2 tsp
Garam masala-1/2 tsp
Water as needed
Coconut oil-2 tbs
Mustard Seeds-1 tsp
Small Onions-10 (Chopped)
Method Of Preparation
- In a mixer add grated coconut, pepper, cumin seeds, fennel seeds and water as needed and grind it to a fine paste and keep it aside
- Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped ginger, garlic, greenchilies and curry leaves in it.
- Saute it until it turns light brown in color
- Add chopped small onions in it and saute it until onion becomes translucent. Then add turmeric powder, coriander powder and redchilli powder in it. Saute it until raw smell of powders goes away.
- Add tomato and salt in it. Mix it well and saute it until tomatoes are cooked well.
- Add chicken pieces and salt in it. Mix it well
- Add 1 cup water in it and mix it.
- Cover it with a lid and let it cook
- Once chicken pieces are half cooked add pumpkin pieces in it and mix it
- Add grounded coconut mixture and garam masala in it and mix it.
- Add salt and 11/2 cup water in it and mix well
- Cover it with a lid and cook until pumpkin pieces and chicken pieces are cooked well
- Switch off the flame
- In a small frying pan heat coconut oil. Add mustard seeds in it. Once it started to splutter add small onions, dry red chillies and curry leaves in it
- Saute it until onion turns golden brown in color
- Add this to the curry
- Close it with a lid & Serve it after 5 minutes