Koottu Curry Recipe with Video Recipe. Koottu curry is an important side dish of kerala sadhya. Koottu means “combination” in Malayalam. As the name implies it is a combination of chana dal or black chana and the vegetables like raw plantain and yam. In this curry I am using chana dal.This curry is tempered with roasted coconut. Roasted coconut flavor makes this curry’s taste unique. We will add jaggery into this curry. It will give a sweet taste to the curry. Try this recipe and let me know how it turned out for you. Let us come to the recipe.
For Coconut Paste
Coconut- 1 cup
Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
Chana Dal-1/2 cup (soaked for 1 hour)
Yam- 1/2 cup
Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
Redchilli powder- 1/2 tsp
Pepper powder-1 tsp
Jaggery- 1 tsp
Coconut oil- 2 tbs
Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
Grated Coconut- 1 1/2 cup
Method Of Preparation
- Wash chana dal well and soak it for 1 hour. In a mixer add grated coconut and cumin seeds. Grind it to a smooth paste by adding enough water in it and keep it aside
- In a cooker add chana dal, yam and raw plantain. Then add turmeric powder, redchilli powder, pepper powder and salt. Add 2 cup water into it. Pressure cook it for 3-4 whistle. Once vegetables are cooked well, add grounded coconut paste into it and mix well.
- Add jaggery into it and mix well.
- Cook it for 5 minutes until raw taste of coconut goes
- Switch off the flame and keep it aside
- Next we can do tempering. For that heat coconut oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, dry redchillies, curry leaves and grated coconut into it and saute it until coconut turns golden brown in color
- Add the prepared curry into the tempering and mix well
- Koottu curry is now ready to serve