Steamed Tender Coconut Rice Cake Recipe | Elaneer Vattayappam Recipe with Video Recipe. Vattayappam is a steamed rice cake made with rice and coconut. It is popular in kerala. It is a healthiest snack, as it is a steamed cake with no oil in it. Vatta means “round”. It is steamed in a round pan/plate hence the name vattayappam. It’s preparation is very simple. We just need to grind rice and coconut for making this vattayappam. This vattayappam recipe is a variety one, as I have used tender coconut instead of normal coconut in this recipe, it enhances the taste and flavor of this vattayappam as tender coconut and tender coconut water has a natural sweetness in it. It ia a best way to use tender coconut flesh. I am sure that you will love the taste of this vattayappam, once you made it. Here I have not added yeast for fermentation, so need to rest this batter at least 10-12 hrs for fermentation. If you want, you can add yeast or baking soda in this recipe, to reduce the fermentation time of this batter. If you are using instant yeast, it will get fermented within 2 hrs. It is one of the healthiest team time snacks option for your kids. Try this recipe if you have tender coconut in your house and let me know your feedback.
Raw Rice-2 cup
1 Tender coconut Pulp
Cooked Rice-1/2 cup
Salt to taste
Method Of Preparation
- Soak raw rice at least for 4 hours.
- Take pulp of one tender coconut.
- Transfer the soaked rice in a mixer.
- Add water as required.
- Grind it into a fine batter.
- Transfer this batter into a bowl.
- Add tender coconut pulp into the mixer.
- Add cooked rice, coconut water and sugar in it.
- Add water as required and grind it to a fine batter.
- Add this batter to the grounded rice batter.
- Mix it well.
- Close it with a lid & Allow it to rest overnight at room temperature to ferment.
- Once batter is fermented add salt to taste in it.
- Mix it well.
- Batter is now ready.
- Take water in a pan.
- Place a stand over it.
- Place an oil greased pan/plate over the stand.
- Pour the batter in the pan.
- Decorate the top with cherries.
- Close it with a lid & Steam it for 20 minutes.
- Steamed Tender Coconut Rice Cake/ Elaneer Vattayappam is now ready.
- Once it’s cooled down completely, transfer it into a plate.
- Cut it & Serve it.